Good morning, Oddies! Alexis here with a colorful and fun birthday card celebrating the best thing about birthdays! CAKE! Personally I love cake
Good morning, Oddies! Alexis here with a mini tutorial on coloring with Distress Markers. Now, I am and always will be a Copic girl, but I can’t deny the fun of playing in a different medium and I really dig the vintage, water color feel that the Distress Markers give for some of my projects. This week I’m falling for Fall Friends and I used Mae, the pumpkin and all the leaves from this clear set for my card.
I stamped on water color paper with coffee colored waterproof ink. I really like having slightly lighter outlines than my traditional black for this process. If you just want to experiment and don’t want to spend lots of money on water color paper, I suggest getting a pad of watercolor postcard blanks. It makes it inexpensive to play!
For each step, I use the pen end of the marker to define my area, then the brush end to gently blend out a bit from the edges and then lastly I take a small paint brush and some water and blend further, softening the colors I started with through to the center.
For the Skin, I started with Tattered Rose blending it and then let it dry just a moment before going back in with Vintage Photo. I used Spun sugar and Worn Lipstick for the cheeks and lips and then blended a little more Tattered Rose over top of everything.
I did the hair similarly to how I would have with Copics, starting first with Antique Linen in the shadows and then going back over those areas with Tea Dye and then Walnut Stain. For a little extra definition in the hair, I went back when it was dry with the Walnut Stain pen and hit a couple more areas didn’t blend it after that.
I used Faded Jeans and Iced Spruce on the eyes and her jeans (appropriate, no?) and for her coat and boots I used Tea Dye with a little Walnut Stain shading and finished off with Spun Sugar and Worn Lipstick for her socks and scarf. I went a little more free-form with the clothing coloring, making Mae’s boots a little slouchy.
Then came time for the PUMPKIN!!!! We go crazy here in the Kemp household over everything pumpkin, including ACTUAL pumpkins. Last year my husband picked out an enormous one, and we only just threw it away last month… HA! (Knowing this now, it should not surprise you at all to learn that my Christmas Tree is still up). Anyhow, I used Dried Marigold and Rusty Hinge to give our pumpkin its awesome depth and Shabby Shutters and Forest Moss for the stem.
And then it just came down to the final details. I used Walnut Stain (Stain) and some water for the ground and I did a sky blue wash on the background using a couple drops of Sail Boat Blue Alcohol Ink in what was left of my water cup. I went over the background a couple times to give it a little richness, but kept it fairly light. The last step for me was to color up my leaves. I messed up stamping Mae the first time and the middle didn’t come out, but rather than waste the paper, I just used the space around her to stamp the leaves. I colored those up with combinations of the above referenced inks along with Aged Mahogany for some pops of autumn red. I then used small spots of those colors on my background to give it the look of soft focus falling leaves and after assembling my card, I cut out each of the leaves and attached them with foam tape and placed them all around Mae and her prized pumpkin.
This project has definitely made me pine for fall and pumpkin spice lattes, but for now, I’ll content myself with more rainy weekends in the craft room!